So what is it that you need to get started on making bread? Surprisingly a very small list.
- A warm place to let the dough rise
- A place to knead the dough
60 Minute Mini Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (.25 ounce) package quick-rise yeast
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- In a saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to 120 degrees F-130 degrees F.
- Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide in half. Roll each portion into an 8-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Place, seam side down, in two greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Fill a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan with 1 in. of hot water.
- Set loaf pans in water. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes. Remove loaf pans from the water bath. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the whole wheat flour, salt and one cup of the bread flour; stir well to combine. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
- Place into a lightly oiled bowl, and turn to coat the whole surface with oil. Cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down the dough, and let rest 10 minutes. Divide into 4 balls. Place on cookie sheets, and flatten into disks. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Lightly beat the egg white with the water and brush the risen loaves with this mixture. Bake at 375 degree F (190 degree C) for 40 to 50 minutes. When done bread should sound hollow when thumped on bottom. Remove from oven, and let cool.
- Cut a circle out of the top of each loaf, and remove that part of the crust. Either remove the soft bread beneath, or compress it to form a bowl.