My family does not do this tradition because we do not have a fireplace. Although we could build a substitute that doesn't require one. To make a Yule Log that will last from season to season, follow the instructions below.
- You need a log around 3 feet long. The type of wood does not matter. Although oak would be more traditional.
- Four pillar candles. Red, Black, White and Green or Gold.
- Drill and/or chisel.
- Measure out four spaces the size of the candles that you have decided to use. Aim to have them an equal distance apart.
- Then drill or chisel out a shallow depression that the candles can sit in without falling out.
- Saw off the bottom part of the log so that it can sit without wanting to roll.
- Then put candles in the holes. From left to right: Put the red, black, white, green or gold. These represent the Holly King and Crone. Then the Maiden and Oak/Sun King.