I find that it is best to use plant material either vine or palm fronds. Just make sure to soak them overnight.
- To begin, you'll form a base for your Cross by bending two pieces of vine in their middles to create a pair of loops -- in fact, you'll do this with each piece as you make your Cross. Link the two pieces together at their centers.
- Next, turn these two pieces so they lie flat, and at a right angle to one another. This basic two-piece unit is the base for the rest of the Cross, and it's the only time you'll have two pieces hooked together in the middles like this.
- Next, bend a third piece of straw in half, and loop it over one of your two base pieces. Both legs of the loop in the new piece will pass over both legs of the base piece. Pull this third piece tight to hold it in place.
- Take a fourth piece, and bend it in half as you've done with the others. Loop this one over the legs of the piece you added in. You should now have four pieces, each pointing in a different direction.
- Finally, you'll continue looping pieces over one another as you did in the last step, until your cross reaches the size you want. Each piece loops over the previous one. When you're all done, use a piece of string, ribbon, or even another bit of straw to secure the four ends. Trim off excess pieces.