|courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net|
Below is a list of some of these natural dyes. The trick is to add about 2 tsp of white vinegar to the water before boiling. When the water begins to boil then carefully add the eggs and your coloring materials. To get different shades you will have to experiment with how much material you will add. And how long you boil the eggs and natural dyes together. I recommend to simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- Red/pink: paprika
- Purple: concentrated grape juice (Welch's works nicely, about half a can)
- Yellow: Skins (only) of a half dozen yellow onions
- Gold: Curry powder or tumeric
- Light green: frozen chopped spinach (1/3 to 1/2 package)
- Blue: 1 Cup frozen blueberries (with juice)
- Circles: Protection, everlasting life, continuity, completeness. The Sun, and cycles of life.
- Suns: The life-giving, all embracing nature of God, especially as the Sun is seen as the God. Fire and warmth, enchantment, prosperity, good fortune.
- Curls: Protection.
- Spirals: Mystery of life and death, divinity and immortality.
- Crosses: These are usually equal-armed crosses, though not always. Represents the four directions, the four ages of man, the four elements, rebirth and eternal life.
- Eternity Bands: Dividing elements on the eggs such as meanders for harmony, motion, infinity, immortality. Waves for wealth, rain. Lines and ribbons for the thread of life or eternity.
- Triple Moon for the Goddess
- The symbol of the Horned One
- The Triskele