2 tbsp. canola oil, divided
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup dried sweetened cherries, chopped
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
4 boneless pork loin chops, 1-inch thick
1 tsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup cherry juice
In large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, onions, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Stir in cherries, thyme, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.Cut deep pocket in side of each pork chop. Fill with 1/4 of cherry mix. Skewer pockets closed with toothpicks. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tbsp. oil. Add pork chops, brown over medium heat for 8 minutes per side or until no longer pink.
Remove chops from skillet. Pour off fat. Add flour to skillet, cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Stir in chicken broth and juice. Scrape brown bits from skillet, cook 1 minute more to thicken sauce slightly.
Return chops to skillet. Turn to coat evenly. Spoon remaining sauce over chops before serving.
Soft (non-alcoholic) Mead
- 4 cups spring water
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- Bring the water, honey, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon to a boil in a non-metallic pan.
- Stir until honey is dissolved; heaviness should disappear from bottom of the pan.
- Use wooden spoon to skim off skin that forms at top of brew.
- Add lemon and orange slices, squeezing as they are placed in the pan.
- Cool completely; strain.
- Store in bottle in refrigerator. courtesy of clannada.org