As evidenced by the overabundance of helicopter parents, worry seems to be the theme of parenting in our modern times. Now sometimes that worry is necessary with the unique stresses that our age puts upon us. But like yesterday we cannot let that worry rule us.
I have for a long time said, that I am not raising kids. Instead I am creating adults. If we worry over our kids and try to save them from any pain, then they have learned nothing. They must learn by failing, because eventually they will learn why they failed and correct it. All our job is, is to teach and encourage them to get back on that horse.
But dealing with worry can be a daunting challenge in the best of times. So here are some ideas on dealing with worry.
- The first step in dealing with worry is to notice it and then let it go.
- Like anger, the next step should be, to breathe.
- Don't 'self-medicate'. If you worry so much that you need to smoke or drink to deal with it, then find someone to talk to.
- Nurture that which is within. Meditation can work wonders on helping us to find our center.
- Cut off the TV. We don't have cable in our house and aside from the cost savings, we don't have the bombardment of worry from society.